I saw an article title the other day that read “Content is King “. On the Internet that is truer today, then ever. Search results today are content driven. To have a site that performs consistently well you need good and relevant content. I’m not talking about a few paragraphs with a couple of keywords. I’m talking about pages full of clear useful content related to your website and what your site is about.
If your site is like mine, then you are trying to sell a product or service, then that is what you write about. If your site is about real estate, have content that teaches people how to shop for a house or what to look for when buying land. Include articles about neighborhoods and school zones in the area, recreation then point people to these articles. If your site is about, gardening then have information about planting seasons, soil conditioning etc. You get the idea, what ever your website is about, have related content.
Good content is also multipurpose. Not only is it good for your web pages it is also good for your blog and for article distribution. Send your content out as articles through distribution services, this working with your blog creates back links. The more back links from credible sites the better your ranking .The better your ranking the more you website can work for you.
What should you use for content? The most popular topics by far are ‘How To” articles. Articles that offer tips, tricks, and short cuts have a very high readership. The more you let your audience know, the more they think you know. Current events are good if there is a way to work them into what your website is about. It lets people know that you are staying up to date on your topic. Stay away from opinions, opinion related articles tend to polarize one site or another, so should be averted, because you want the most traffic your website can generate.
Writing dos and don’ts.
- Keep it relevant. If your site is about cars don’t write about fishing.
- Know your topics.
- Know your goals, are you writing to attract sales for example.
- Know your keywords and where to place them, there are formulas you can use.
- Keep your content positive.
- Keep your content as current as you possibly can. You don’t want to be caught with information that is not up to date.
- Distribute. Take all that good content you have created (or had created), and double the mileage by using it on your blog, and using it to create articles to distribute through article services.
So the reasons for good content are many. It helps page ranking, it engages your audience and it brings them back and you can use it for distribution. The more people are drawn to your site, the more effective your site will work for you. In this day and age you can’t afford not to have good solid content.